By incorporating the strengths of the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG), OS MasterMap® Address Layer 2 and the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF®) AddressBase Products provide 'a single definitive spatial address base for Great Britain'.
Recently, one of our clients was struggling to grasp what AddressBase offered - expecting it to be comparable to OS Address Layer 2. Whilst he could import the geometry he was unable to access the majority of the attributes available within AddressBase Premium. AIT was engaged to transform the source data files into a usable address dataset.
- It was evident from the outset that the AddressBase data is best suited to a database environment enabling the attributes to be used extensively throughout the mapping base. Using SQL Server Express, we collated the source data to provide:
- A spatially-enabled definitive address list
- Address Gazetteer
- Classification Listing - from commercial through residential to non-residential farm buildings and even lych gates
- Buildings with Multiple Occupancy
- Links to OS MasterMap mapping base
Linking to the MasterMap building polygons provides a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing map.
Furthermore, any data updates such as change of application status or occupancy will be reflected automatically in the map.
The definitive address list has, in turn, been used to create a folder/file directory structure. All property survey details, photographs, correspondence etc., will be held within the relevant 'address' folder. This approach combines interoperability with a simple approach to overall data management.